Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'd like to share this gem with you

I hope that your stomach is up to the task.

Sorry that I haven't been around to your blogs, but times are rough at the moment, and I just can't seem to get the time that I need to speak to you all as much as I'd like to.

This joke was sent to me by a friend of mine that resides in a residential area reasonably close to mine. He lost his wife to the big C a few years ago and we've kept in touch, thanks to email.

This joke relates well to both my wife and myself who have had similar experiences with elderly people in the nursing homes that we both work in.

I have a few stories to tell about some of our more notable elderly people that we look after - especially a young lady at the age of - believe it not - 109 (110 in August) who's name I cannot mention due to privacy matters, who manage to have an outstanding sense of humour even at that age and deserve every accolade that we can bestow.

Anyway, here's the joke:





A tour bus driver is driving with a bus load of seniors down a highway when he is tapped on his shoulder by a little old lady. She offers him a handful of peanuts, which he gratefully munches up.

After about 15 minutes, she taps him on his shoulder again and she hands him another handful of peanuts. The timing is just right, and he looks forwrd to a rest stop where he can get something to drink.

She repeats this gesture about five more times. When she is about to hand him another batch again he asks the sweet old lady, "Why don't you eat the peanuts yourself?". She answers, "We can't chew them be cause we've no teeth".

The puzzled driver asks, "Why do you buy them then?" The old lady replied, "We just love the chocolate coating, but it's such a waste to just throw away the peanuts - isn't it?"

Terry

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Terry, it's good to hear from you again, especially after so long. Great joke. I can't wait to hear about that 109 YO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry, Thanks for dropping by...I work in a nursing home and we had a winter ball last week and one of the dementia patients turned up "naked". Certainly a conversation stopper but I guess I am used to it some of the relatives enjoying the ball did not know where to look....My fault as was on the floor and could not keep everyone under control..what a nightmare it was, family guests left doors open, some escaping down the road and one prancing around in the nude...The theme was Hawaiian so guess was not far off the theme.....I enjoyed your joke.....
    Cheers Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry,
    Ha, Ha.
    I hope it was a joke and not real.
    Bigblog is really slow at the moment, slow to load and not much blogging happening either.
    This blogging think is a bit of a time waster,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lizzie. Things is quiet in blog land these days. I don't get araound as much as I used to either so that would account for the lack of comments on my posts.

    Most people seem to have a bit of trouble with the speed of BigBlog, though I can't say that I've had that much trouble, only the occasional finger drumming episodes.

    That bit about the Nursing home is interesting. Did you know that I also work in both hospital and nursing home environments?

    -----------------------------------
    How's it goin' Doug. No the story is just fiction (well I hope so. Oldies aren't duffers like some people imagine.

    There is a sweet old lady named Aileen at the nursing home I work in on the weekends. She has a great sense of humour. She can stand and walk a bit. When you need to change her pad on the bed, she is able to roll herself on her side etc. She has her full mental faculties. Ho-hum you may say, so there are lots of people like that.... Yeah, but here's the kicker - she turnd 110 in August.

    See ya..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Terry,
    Nice one! :)
    I read somewhere that your birthday has not long gone past......so Happy Birthday to you and I hope you had a good one.
    Take care,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the birthday wish Margaret. And yes it was my birthday on the 6th June.

    We had a those family members that could make it - and a few friends over for a bit of food and a beer on the following Monday. Lorna did her usual bit by cooking enough for an army and we have only just finished eating leftovers.

    I've been in the process of move my PC to a better location in the lounge room and out of the entry halll where it's been for about 6 years. It was very inconvienient there.

    That's why I haven't been to visit anyone for a while (that's my story anyway and I'm stickin' to it!). If you would like to see my setup as it is now you see it in my latest post on BP here

    ReplyDelete

Comments are allowed for google account owners only from 18th March 2010 due to anonymous crap comments.